Thursday 5 January 2012

Pom Pom Tutorial

My Pom Pom on my favourite hat got mangled in the wash the other day, tragedy! After a few hours of heart break I decided it was about time I refreshed my knowledge of Pom Pom making and get making me a new one. I decided to use red wool as one of my dear friends gave it to me and I have yet to muster up the courage (or gain the skill) to make something worthwhile out of it, also it gave my hat a new look!

Here's how I made it:

Step 1 - Cut out two cardboard discs the same size. Make sure the inner circle is quite a bit smaller than the outer circle as this will stop your Pom Pom falling to pieces at the final stages! To cut out the inner circle you can cut a straight line from the outer edge to get to it, this will also help you to remove the cardboard at the end.


Step 2 - Place to two cardboard discs together.




Step 3 - Start wrapping your wool around the cardboard discs. You don't need to tie them to it. I have used two pieces of wool and wrapped them around it together (because I'm very inpatient and it's alot quicker!!). Don't worry if you run out of wool, just cut off another length and keep on going (still no need to tie, sorry if this is obvious but I kept on wanting to tie the loose ends together!).



Step 4 - Wrap the wool around the disc about 3 times, you can do more or less depending on the thickness of your wool and how dense you want your Pom Pom to be. I did mine 3 times with very chunky wool. Now it should look like this:


Step 5 - Now to release your Pom Pom, I used embroidery scissors to start off to cut through to the cardboard disc. Then, if you want to, get some bigger scissors and keeping one blade between the two cardboard discs, cut around the edge of the Pom Pom.


Being careful not to let it fall apart it should now look like this:


Step 6 - Get a piece of wool and place it in between the cardboard discs and wrap it around the Pom Pom. This is what holds it all together so it is very important to tie it very tight.



Step 7 - Once you have tied it, remover the cardboard discs et voila! You may have to cut some longer pieces of wool to make it a nice shape. You can use the wool that you used to tie it together to attach it to what ever you so choose, which in my case is my hat!


Happy Pomming!
X

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment